Vientiane Capital, LAOS
Many children from Laos’ poor rural areas have left home to go to Vientiane City to make a living, in the best case hoping to find some sort of job, in the worst case, to beg. They become vagrants, homeless, wandering from place to place and living by begging. They are at high risk of becoming victims of all kinds of crime (such as human trafficking) and are excluded from both an education and a nurturing, safe family environment.
With this project, we aim to reduce the number of children and youth having to work or live on the streets of Vientiane. We bring about programs and comprehensive services that improve marginalized children’s lives.
Our activities include:
- Organizing and training a team of professional social workers in order to implement a program for 900 Laotian street children.
- Organizing streets activities for children living and working on the streets.
- Opening a center that responds to the needs and desires expressed by children.
- Implementing a reintegration project working with networks in the provinces.
- Implementing a prevention project aimed at reducing the number of streets children.
- Developing partnership activities and amplify our influence together.
- Friends International/Pheuan Mit