Theme: Livelihood Education
Location: Lao Cai and Hoa Binh provinces, Vietnam
Lao Cai and Hoa Binh and provinces are located in the northeast mountainous regions of Vietnam and are home to different ethnic minorities. Here, school drop-outs are highly prevalent and quality vocational training and economic opportunities are limited.
Our project aims to promote sustainable livelihoods for ethnic minority youth through the improvement of career orientation, employability and entrepreneurship. We wish to:
- Increase the adaptability of ethnic minority youth to the labour market needs;
- Strengthen partnership and engagement between local businesses and youth
- Identify and support entrepreneurship initiatives from ethnic minority youth.
Through improving and increasing access to career orientation, vocational training, and employability and entrepreneurship opportunities we wish to build and promote sustainable livelihoods for ethnic minority youth living in northern mountainous regions of Vietnam. Our focus is on increasing the adaptability and skills of ethnic minority youth to meet labour market needs; strengthening partnerships and engagement with local businesses and enterprises; and identifying and supporting entrepreneurship initiatives for ethnic minority youth.
2020 results: Despite the challenges that Covid-19 posed to our work, we conducted two training workshops for teachers teaching vocational skills, we launched a “Big Idea Challenge” competition to call for business initiatives, a Business Incubator Project to support youth with business training, and we began reviewing careers orientation and developing new careers material in three new career directions (cooking, tour guiding and embroidery).
Our activities include but are not limited to:
- Supporting schools with career orientation materials
- Building the capacity of secondary teachers on career orientation for students
- Supporting extra-curricular career orientation sessions
- Surveying local industries and labour needs of local businesses, and assessing needs of learners
- Providing short-term vocational training for ethnic marginalized youth
- Supporting schools in improving the curriculum for vocational training in line with market needs
- Providing start-up and business planning skills training for high school students and young community members
- Supporting detailed start-up proposals that have been selected during competitions
Partners: The Department of Labour Invalid and Social Affairs (DOLISA) of Lao Cai, Department of Education and Training (DOET) of Lao Cai; The Youth Union of Lao Cai, The Northwest Centre for Cooperation and Development (NWD), The European Union, HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank
Visit our project’s dedicated website to learn more: vietnam.aide-et-action.org