Khun Ha, Nung Nang, Ta Leng communes
Tam Duong district
Lai Chau province
Lai Châu is the one of the poorest provinces in Vietnam with a poverty rate of 23.72%. It also has the highest illiteracy, standing at 40%. The malnutrition rate among children under 6 years old is extremely high: 26.5% are underweight and 37.2% stunting (“A review of the nutrition situation in Vietnam 2009-2010”, NIN and UNICEF).
Concerned about the quality of education and the high malnutrition rate among children in Lai Chau, Aide et Action has decided to support the disdvantaged communes of Ta Leng, Nung Nang and Khun Ha, in Tam Duong district. They constitute the most difficult and isolated areas with a poverty rate between 20% and 25%.
To maximize our impact in the target schools and communities our project follows our “Golden Triangle” approach, a tripartite partnership between schools, communities, and local authorities.
The objective of the project is to ensure the rights to equal development of ethnic minority children in Tam Duong district of Lai Chau province via improved access to inclusive quality education, and enhanced livelihoods activities.
More specifically, our project aims to:
- Improve access to a quality education for 1,955 children between 3 and 8 years old, 96% of them from the ethnic H’mong tribe through a better education environment and improved teaching methodologies.
- Improve the capacities of 95 pre-school teachers and 145 primary school teachers so they are able to provide a more inclusive educational environment.
- Enhance the ability of 3,369 parents, caregivers and communities members to support inclusive education for ethnic minority children between 3 and 8 years old.
- Help increase the families’ income, the children’s nutrition and the communities environmental conditions via improved production techniques and more effective livelihoods.
- Increase the understanding of effective implementation of inclusive education for ethnic minority children between 3 and 8 years old among 50 local authorities, policymakers and communities.
People Committee of Tam Duong district