Doan Ket, Vay Nua and Tien Phong communes, Da Bac district,
Hoa Binh province,
Various issues jeopardize the education and development of the children in the Da Bac district:
- Poor quality of teaching and language barriers for the children from the Dao ethnic community
- Parents lack knowledge and skills about child care and education
- Pre-school infrastructure and facilities are poor, including poor hygiene (no clean water, toilets)
- A high prevalence of malnutrition among children under 6 years old (18% of them are underweight, and 23.8% are stunting)
- A very high poverty rate of 33.96%
Livelihoods are based mainly on maize culture, livestock raising and aquaculture with low productivity, and face a number of difficulties such as shortage of farm land, water, adequate production techniques, capital and a market for their products, etc. Such difficulties in making a living create a vicious cycle of poverty. People do simply not know how to escape from poverty, improve their living conditions and enhance the quality of care and educate for their children.
Our main activities to improve child development and the quality of education for children between 3 and 8 years old in the target areas, include:
- Enhance the learning environment for 1,247 children between 0-8 years old, through infrastructure renovation/equipment and extra-curricular classes and activities.
- Improve these children’s learning abilities and performance and enhance the capacity of 96 preschool teachers and educational managers through training on child care, child health and nutrition, and active learning/teaching.
- Improve the nutritional status of children by expanding the knowledge and skills of 1,344 parents, community members and 44 local authorities with regards to child care and education, and improving the families’ livelihoods.
- Help change the communities’ and local authorities’ practices and policies to reflect an improvement in educating and caring for ethnic minority children.
People Committee of Da Bac district