TERM OF REFERENCE: Photography consultant service for project VNM020 and VNM023
Aide et Action is an international nonprofit organisation that works in 19 countries across Africa, Asia, and Europe. With the vision of Changing the World through Education, Aide et Action adopts a lifelong learning approach to reach the most vulnerable children and youth. Aide et Action has been working in Viet Nam since 2003 in Phu Yen, Khanh Hoa, Thai Nguyen, Hoa Binh, Lai Chau and Lao Cai provinces and focuses on three main themes:
- Access and Quality of Primary and Secondary Education
- Early Childhood Care and Education
- Livelihood Education
In 2020, Aide et Action implemented two projects to increase equitable access to quality education for ethnic minority children in Hoa Binh.
Aide et Action Southeast Asia wishes to communicate the organisation’s achievements and success stories, challenges and tell the story of how the organisation’s projects are increasing access to quality education for marginalised children in Vietnam. To communicate efficiently, Aide et Action has the need to produce high quality photo material and is therefore seeking a short-term photographer.
Purpose of the assignment:
Under the supervision of the Country Program Manager and direct guidance of the Regional Communication Manager, the photographer will provide high quality still photography services. The photographer will demonstrate a client-oriented approach, tact, and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. The photographer will ensure effective and efficient provision of services, full confidentiality in all aspects of the assignment, management of information flow, and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made. In all activities Aide et Action commissions consultants are to ensure the dignity of subjects, particularly children.
The photographer will be responsible in producing photo stories that reflect:
- Past and current barriers Aide et Action Vietnam’s project participants face in accessing education
- The outcomes of specific projects (detailed below)
Scope of work and timeframe:
Scope of work:
The recruited photographer is expected to produce:
- Four photo stories – two from each of our two projects (10-15 edited photos per story)
- A minimum of 100 unedited contextual photos that reflect Aide et Action’s project’s focus areas and document various project activities such as students eating lunch, classroom environments, students traveling to school, students learning, contextual images of geographic remoteness of schools/homes, teachers interacting with students, hygiene practices at schools or at home such as hand-washing, etc. These can be additional photos from the photo stories.
Project 1: We are seeking stories of hope, change, or achievements that demonstrate the impact of Aide et Action Vietnam’s project in relation to the lives of children, parents, and teachers during project implementation.
Project 2: We are seeking stories of need to show that there is a need for a project like this and that participants are hopeful it can make a difference.
The assignment is expected to be completed by 30 December 2020 within the project period from 1 – 30 December 2020.
The photographer is expected to be ready to begin by 1 December 2020. The estimated time (excluding travel) will be 2-3 days of shooting in the field (locations to be determined).
The consultant is expected to produce the following deliverables:
Contextual photos of project activities and project locations:
A minimum of 100 unedited high-resolution photographs (a detailed shot list will be provided to the photographer to use as a suggested guide).
Expected photo stories:
10-15 edited photographs with English captions to illustrate the stories of the following subjects:
- Project 1: A member of a children’s club who has learned new skills/knowledge and enjoys going to school and participating in the club. Also needed: a testimonial from parent/teacher on a change in ability or behavior in child
- Project 1: A teacher who has received teacher training/improved learning environment and feels he/she is now offering his/her students a better quality education as a result
- Project 2: A parent who is a recent participant of this new project and can describe their needs for their children, why they joined the project and what they hope they can gain from it
- Project 2: A primary school child who already has gained access to improved nutrition that they did not have before joining the project. Also needed: a testimonial from parent/teacher on the importance of nutrition
Qualifications and Competencies
This assignment is open to national and international photographers but applicants must be already legally resident in Vietnam and hold a valid work permit.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent photography skills and the ability to deliver images that tell a story
- Ability to work with a multicultural environment and a multidisciplinary team
- Willingness to travel to project sites (within Vietnam), no matter how remote
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards
- Positive, constructive attitude to work
Required Skills and Experience:
- Education background in photography, journalism, communications, arts, media, or any relevant field
- Minimum of two years of experience shooting video and photography for NGOs
- Good communications skills and ability to conduct short interviews with subjects
- Contributing extensively to national and international media outlets is an asset
- Excellent communications skills especially written for putting together captions, photo essays, etc
- Excellent coordination, organizational/management, and communication skills
- Ability to travel and under tight time constraints
- Capacity to provide necessary photography equipment
- Preference to photographers with local language skills
Interested photographers must submit the following documents/information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by 23 November 2020:
- A CV indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number)
- Contact details for two professional references
- Link to online portfolio
- Details of equipment
- Financial proposal, as stating Daily Fee in USD for shooting and editing. No other costs should be included in the financial proposal at this stage