Rationale for the Assignment:
Aide et Action Southeast Asia wishes to communicate achievements and success stories, challenges and tell the story of how the organisation’s projects are increasing access to quality education for marginalised children in Laos. To communicate efficiently, Aide et Action has the need to produce high-quality photo material and is therefore seeking a short-term photographer.
Aide et Action: Background
Vision: Changing the world through education.
Our mission is to ensure access to quality education for the most vulnerable and marginalised populations, especially children, so they can take charge of their own development and contribute to a more peaceful and sustainable world.
In 2019, Aide et Action supported 1,911,194 people globally of which 60,591 were in Cambodia, China, Laos, and Vietnam.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Photographer
Under the supervision of the Country Program Manager and direct guidance of the Regional Communication Manager, the photographer will provide high quality still photography services. The photographer will demonstrate a client-oriented approach, tact, and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. The photographer will ensure effective and efficient provision of services, full confidentiality in all aspects of the assignment, management of information flow, and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made. In all activities Aide et Action commissions consultants are to ensure the dignity of subjects, particularly children.
The photographer will be responsible in producing photo stories that reflect:
- Past and current barriers Aide et Action Laos’ project participants face in accessing education
- The outcomes of two specific projects (detailed below)
The recruited photographer is expected to produce:
- Four photo stories – two from each of our two projects (10-15 edited photos per story)
- A minimum of 50 unedited contextual photos that reflect Aide et Action’s project’s focus areas and document various project activities such as mobile libraries, students eating lunch, preschool classes, ICT in use, contextual images of geographic remoteness of schools/homes, teachers interacting with students, hygiene practices at schools or at home such as hand-washing, etc. These can be additional photos from the photo stories.
We are seeking stories of hope, change, or achievements that Aide et Action Laos has impacted on the lives of children, parents, and teachers during project implementation.
Aide et Action will:
- Research and develop field visits, work schedule and preselect potential human interest stories to be documented by the photographer
- Develop a concept plan and that includes
(1) guide questions for the interviews of the subjects of photo stories
(2) background information on the proposed subjects
(3) a suggested shot list for the photos required for the projects
- Provide transportation and field staff to support the photographer’s field visits to project locations
The photographer will:
- Read, sign and adhere to all child protection policies and safeguarding policies
- Travel to project locations to (1) take photographs of selected subjects, (2) interview the selected subjects with assistance from Aide et Action Laos field staff, and (3) take contextual photos of wider project activities as outlined by Aide et Action
- Edit photographs as necessary and provide English photo captions for each of the photo stories
- Secure informed consent form (to be provided by Aide et Action) from every woman and man (as well as children) whose data were collected
The consultant is expected to produce the following deliverables:
Contextual photos of project activities and project locations:
A minimum of 50 unedited high-resolution photographs (a detailed shot list will be provided to the photographer to use as a suggested guide).
Expected photo stories:
10-15 edited photographs with English captions to illustrate the stories of the following subjects:
- Project 1: A preschool or young primary school-age child benefitting from access to improved learning materials/learning environment including a testimonial from parent/teacher on a change in ability or behavior in the child
- Project 1: A parent who has received training in nutrition and is now involved in preparing more nutritious school meals
- Project 2: A teacher who has received teacher training/improved learning environment/renovated classroom and feels he/she is now offering his/her students a better quality education as a result
- Project 2: A primary school child in a remote area who has access to new learning materials (books/ICT) that they did not have before
Shared copyright between Aide et Action and the photographer is required.
Qualifications and Competencies
The position is open to local and international photographers but the photographer must be already legally resident with a valid work permit in Laos.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent photography skills and the ability to deliver images that tell a story
- Ability to work with a multicultural environment and a multidisciplinary team
- Willingness to travel to project sites (within Laos), no matter how remote
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards
- Positive, constructive attitude to work
Required Skills and Experience
- Education background in photography, journalism, communications, arts, media or any relevant field
- Minimum 2 years of experience shooting video and photography for NGOs
- Good communications skills and ability to conduct short interviews with subjects
- Contributing extensively to national and international media outlets is an asset
- Excellent communications skills especially written for putting together captions, photo essays, etc
- Excellent coordination, organizational/management, and communication skills
- Ability to travel and under tight time constraints
- Capacity to provide necessary photography equipment
- Preference to photographers with local language skills
The assignment is expected to be completed by 10 December 2020 within the project period from 1 November – 10 December 2020.
The photographer is expected to be ready to begin by 1 November 2020. The estimated time (excluding travel) will be 2-3 days of shooting in the field (locations to be determined).
Application Submission Details
Interested photographers must submit the following documents/information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by 27 October 2020:
- A CV indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number)
- Contact details for two professional references
- Link to an online portfolio
- Details of equipment
- Financial proposal, as stating Daily Fee in USD for shooting and editing. No other costs (e.g. travel) should be included in the financial proposal at this stage